The Great American 2013 Summer Pop Culture Quiz
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 12:00 pm
Caught up on your tabloids? Watching bad reality TV? Enjoying lots (and lots) of CGI and special effects at the cineplex? Let’s see if you have your finger on the pulse.
1) Match the movie star with his summer blockbuster
1) After Earth a) Matt Damon
2) World War Z b) Tom Cruise
3) Oblivion c) Channing Tatum
4) Elysium d) Will Smith
5) White House Down e) Brad Pitt
2) Who did NBC announce will replace Jay Leno as host of The Tonight Show?
a) David Letterman
b) Jimmy Fallon
c) Adam Carolla
d) Seth Meyers
3) Which rapper/singer is the reported father of reality star Kim Kardashian’s baby?
a) Puff Daddy
c) Kanye West
4) Name the film that most recently won the Academy Award for Best Picture, as well as its director (who was notoriously not nominated).
5) The term EGOT, the grand slam of the entertainment industry, is an acronym for Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony. Which legendary star has not accomplished the achievement?
a) Rita Moreno
b) Barbra Streisand
c) Mel Brooks
d) Audrey Hepburn
6) Pope Benedict the XVI became the first pope to retire the papacy in 600 years. What is his current title?
7) Monopoly rocked the gaming world this year with what radical move concerning its game pieces?
8) Name the only actress to win an Academy Award for Best Actress and a Razzie (the award for worst performance) in the same year.
9) Which popular sitcom’s coffeehouse hangout did not have a name?
b) Will & Grace
10) Three members of the Stark family are killed in the shocking season finale of what popular HBO series?
11) Catching Fire is the 2013 sequel to what adventure movie?
12) Bruce Willis successfully resurrected his action star status in a 2010 film that costars Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich. The sequel is due out next month. Name the original movie.
1) 1-d, 2-e, 3-b, 4-a, 5-c
4) Argo, Ben Affleck
5) b- While Barbra Streisand has won all of the awards, her Tony was honorary, not competitive.
7) The makers replaced the game piece shaped like an iron with a cat.
8) Sandra Bullock won the Oscar for The Blind Side the same year she was awarded the Razzie for her performance in All About Steve. She accepted both awards in person.
10) Game of Thrones
11) The Hunger Games