Spring Chicken and Blue Cheese Salad
This main-dish chicken salad has bright flavors of tarragon in a creamy blue cheese dressing with just a touch of sweetness from honey.
Serves: 4 Edit
Total Time: 55 min
- 1 cup(s) nonfat Greek-style yogurt, (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely chopped fresh tarragon, or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 pound(s) boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground pepper
- 1 head(s) butterhead lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 head(s) radicchio, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) baby arugula, or mixed baby greens
- Creamy Blue Cheese-Tarragon Dressing, (recipe follows)
- 1/2 cup(s) walnuts, toasted (see Tip) and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine yogurt, garlic, oil and tarragon in a large bowl. Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to the bowl; turn to coat. Place the chicken in a baking dish and cover completely with the yogurt mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 35 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Thinly slice the chicken when cool enough to handle.
- Gently toss lettuce, radicchio and arugula (or mixed greens) in a large bowl. Divide the greens among 4 plates, top with equal portions of the chicken, spoon 2 tablespoons Creamy Blue Cheese-Tarragon Dressing over each salad and sprinkle with walnuts.
- Shopping tip: Thick and creamy Greek-style yogurt is made by removing the whey from cultured milk. Because the whey has been removed, you can cook with Greek-style yogurt without the normal separation that occurs when cooking with regular yogurt. Both can be used in this recipe, but we recommend using Greek yogurt if it’s available at your supermarket. Tip: Spread whole walnuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
- Related Recipe: Creamy Blue Cheese-Tarragon Dressing