- 1 (14 ounce) package soft tofu (not silken), drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 3/4 pound button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch spinach, stemmed, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch basil, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups gluten-free tomato or marinara sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons garbanzo or fava bean flour
- 1 (16 ounce) package gluten-free lasagna noodles
To prepare the filling, coarsely crumble tofu onto two layers of a lint-free dish towel. Wrap tofu in the towel and lightly press out excess moisture; set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring frequently, until just brown, about 8 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
Add spinach in 2 batches and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes each. Stir in basil and tomato sauce, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Whisk eggs and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Add flour and whisk until well blended and slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Unwrap tofu, crumble it into small pieces and add it to egg mixture. Stir well; set aside.
Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions in salted boiling water, but reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes. The noodles should be slightly firm, as they will continue cooking in the oven. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.
Preheat oven to 350°F. To assemble the lasagna, ladle 1/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish and spread it out evenly. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Place 1/3 of the tofu mixture on the lasagna sheets along with about a 1/4 of the sauce, distributing it evenly. Repeat layering two more times with 3 lasagna noodles, 1/3 of the tofu mixture and 1/4 of the sauce. Finish with a final layer of noodles and remaining sauce, taking care to spread the sauce evenly all the way to the corners. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes. Set aside, uncovered, to let stand for 15 minutes, then slice and serve.
Note: We’ve provided special diet and nutritional information for educational purposes. But remember — we’re cooks, not doctors! You should follow the advice of your health-care provider. And since product formulations change, check product labels for the most recent ingredient information. See our Terms of Service.
Leave A Comment