Recipe from Whole Foods
- 8 thick slices bacon, chopped
- 1 dried hot chorizo sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium bone-in pork chops, meat cut into 1/2-inch pieces, bones reserved
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup finely chopped leeks
- 3 cups cooked white beans
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth (gluten-free, if desired)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Spanish sweet paprika (optional)
In medium-sized pot, cook the bacon over medium heat until lightly brown, about 4 minutes. Remove bacon pieces and reserve. Add chorizo to the pot and cook in the remaining bacon fat until lightly browned, caramelized and slightly smoking, about 4 minutes. Take chorizo out and reserve. Sprinkle pork meat with salt and pepper, then add to pot and cook for about 5 minutes, or until slightly browned. Remove and reserve.
Discard about half of the fat in the pot, being careful not to remove any solids. Add oil, onions and leeks and cook until translucent but not brown, about 6 minutes.
Place 1 1/2 cups of the beans in a blender along with 2 cups of the broth and blend until smooth. Add bean puree, bay leaves, remaining 1 1/2 cups beans, bacon, chorizo, pork meat, pork bones and remaining 1 cup broth to pot and cook on medium heat, uncovered, until boiling, about 15 minutes, stirring from the bottom from time to time. Add paprika and season with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to low, and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for another 20 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaves and pork chop bones, then ladle into bowls and serve. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, if you like.
Leave A Comment